Public Comment Policy
DUE TO COVID-19 – All meetings have been moved online via Zoom until further notice. If you would like to make comment at an upcoming Board of Trustees Meeting, please email your name, address, and telephone number to firstname.lastname@example.org
It is the policy of the Board of Trustees to invite audience participation during the public comment portion of the Board of Trustees meeting agenda designated for this purpose. In order to provide a fair opportunity to every person that desires to address the Board of Trustees:
- A Public Comment period will be provided at all public meetings of the Board of Trustees.
- Any person wishing to address the Board of Trustees must sign the Public Comment Sign-in sheet and provide his/her name, address, and telephone number.
- Individuals will be called to comment in the order in which they have signed in.
- Each speaker will be limited to three (3) minutes unless otherwise authorized by the Board in advance of the designated Public Comment period.
- The Board of Trustees acts as a body. Individual trustees have no power or authority to act on behalf of the Library.
- Speakers are not to address or engage in dialogue with individual trustees during the public comment period. Comments are to be addressed to the Board as a whole, and not to individual Trustees, administration or staff.
- Trustees will listen to Public Comment and consider it during deliberations as a Board.
- Trustees will not answer questions nor engage in debate with speakers during the Public Comment period.
- Speakers are asked to understand that specific questions cannot be answered in dialogue format by the Board of Trustees. Acting as a Board, the trustees will consider comments and questions and may direct the Library Director to provide information.
- The public is not normally invited to participate or contribute to the discussion of business on the agenda. An exception is a person who has been invited (ahead of time or spontaneously) to speak, make a presentation, or in some other way provide information to the Board.